Whether you're a job seeker or an established professional, you can use LinkedIn to find new opportunities, research companies, and connect with others in your industry. But you can also use it to show you've been promoted. Adding a promotion on LinkedIn can help potential employers or contractors see that you are qualified for the position they are hiring for. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to add your promotion on LinkedIn on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. We will provide other, more creative ways for you to add a promotion to LinkedIn so you can let everyone know about your latest accomplishments.
How to Show a Promotion on LinkedIn
So, you got promoted and wish to celebrate your new title on LinkedIn? Or maybe you want to show off your new job to your connections? Great idea! Adding a promotion to your LinkedIn profile is a fantastic way to share your good news and let everyone know about your successes. And depending on whether you are using your computer or mobile, there are two ways to add your LinkedIn promotion.
How to Add a Promotion on LinkedIn On Your Computer
- Log in to your LinkedIn account and hover over the “Me” icon at the top of the page.
- Select “View profile” from the drop-down menu.
- Tap the pencil symbol when you've located the job you want to edit. Alternatively, if you're adding a new position, click the plus sign at the top of the "Experience" section of your profile.
- Add your new title and any additional information that has changed; if necessary, check the "Update my industry" and "Update my headline" sliders.
- To ensure that your connections receive notification of your promotion, turn on the "Share with Network" option.
- Click "Save" to show your promotion on LinkedIn.
Your new shiny title and any other information you updated will now be visible on your LinkedIn profile for all to see! What's more, since you've chosen to share it with your network, all your connections will now be notified that you have a new LinkedIn post showcasing your promotion.
How to Show Promotion on LinkedIn From Your Mobile:
Since 57% of LinkedIn users access the network via mobile, knowing how to share your promotion through the app can come in handy. The process is a little different than on desktop, but still fairly straightforward and is the same for both iPhone and Android:
- Open up the LinkedIn app on your mobile device and tap the "Me" icon, then go to "View profile".
- Scroll down to the "Experience" section and select the job you want to edit.
- Make the edits to match your promotion (and, if you wish to share it with your network, switch on that option).
- Tap "Save" to post your changes.
How to Add a Promotion on LinkedIn Within the Same Company
If you're promoted within your current company, you can still show off your new title on LinkedIn. You can go about this in two ways, depending on how much data you want to share with your network.
The first option is to simply edit your current position and add your new title under "What I Do". It is also the quickest and easiest way to update your LinkedIn profile to reflect your new title, though it will only be visible to those who view your full profile.
If however, you want to share your promotion with your network, and show everyone that you have a new, better role at the company, here is how you go about adding your LinkedIn promotion:
- Log in to your account on your desktop and go to your profile page by clicking the "Me" icon.
- Scroll down to the "Experience" section and click the plus sign next to "Add a position".
- This will open a new window asking you to "Add experience".
- Select whether you would like to notify your network of your new position by toggling the "Notify network" button.
- Insert the details of your new role in the window that appears and check if the "Profile headline" section shows your old role. If yes, then replace it with the new one before you click "Save".
- Check the box next to "End current position as of now." This instructs LinkedIn to add a new end date to your previous role, which is useful if you no longer wish your old job to be shown.
Your new position will now be visible on your LinkedIn profile, and since you've chosen to share it with your network, all your connections will also be notified.
Other Ways to Show Your Promotion on LinkedIn
In addition to updating the Experience section on your profile, there are other ways in which you can let your LinkedIn connections know that you've been promoted. And, the Featured section on your profile is your second best bet to show off your new title. It is located at the top of your profile, right beneath your profile photo and headline, and allows you to highlight certain aspects of your experience that you want to draw attention to.
Adding your promotion there is a great way to make sure people see it as soon as they visit your profile.
But there are a few other ways in which you can share your promotion on LinkedIn. For instance, you can:
- Write a post about your promotion and share it with your network. This way it will appear to your connections on their LinkedIn feed.
- Post a short article or blog which you can even publish to LinkedIn Pulse (LinkedIn's publishing platform) and share it with your network. This is a great choice if you're a skilled writer.
- Share a link to another web page with your promotion announcement. This could possibly be the quickest and most efficient approach to communicate the good news on LinkedIn, especially if your offer has already been announced elsewhere.
- Update your headline to include your new title. This is a great way to ensure that people see your new title when they come across you on LinkedIn.
- Finally, you may include various sorts of media files, such as LinkedIn videos or images that feature the news of your promotion.
LinkedIn Promotion vs New Position
The difference between adding a promotion on LinkedIn and announcing a new job position is that the former is simply an update to your current role, while the latter implies that you're no longer in your old position and have moved on to a new company.
If you've been promoted but are still with the same employer, all you need to do is add your new title to your experience section (or featured section) and update your headline, if you want.
On the other hand, if you've landed a new job and are no longer employed by your old company, then you need to add a new position and include the details of your new employer. You should also end your current position to avoid confusion.
Promotions are a great way to show off your successes and let your network know that you're advancing in your career. Updating your LinkedIn profile is a quick and easy way to share this news. And knowing how to add your promotion on LinkedIn can help you get the most out of this powerful networking tool. Hopefully, the steps we've discussed above will help you do just that. And remember, no matter which method you choose, make sure to be clear and concise about your new role so that your LinkedIn connections are well-informed.